Thursday 14 April 2011

Cambridge River Festival 25th September 2011

2009 Open Boat Day
On Monday evening, we met up with the rest of the Camboaters committee to talk about future plans. The biggest, most exciting event we have coming up is the River Festival. In previous years, Camboaters has organised a Boat Open Day, to allow interested members of the public to come aboard various boats and see what life is like on board. I've always though this was a great idea, to dispel myths and encourage understanding. But this year, we're going to go further and expand the event into one which celebrates all life on the river. Some of the ideas we have in mind:
- Residential and historic boats in the basin - 'boat open day'
- Boats occasionally working through the Jesus Lock to demonstrate how it works 
- Exhibition and river trips on the trip boats Georgina/Rosie
- Childrens activities on the ChYPPS boat
- Punt trips (above the lock)
- Opportunity to try rowing and canoeing, and paddle boats - boathouse based
- Music from a local boater band
- Stalls selling local produce and crafts
- BBQ
- Stands with information from groups such as the Wildlife Trust, National Trust, Fish Preservation and Angling Society 
- Demonstration of low carbon lifestyle of boaters including Renewable Energy 

Over the coming months I will undoubtedly be posting a lot more about this event as it comes together and we confirm who's going to be there and what fun things are going to be happening. In the meantime, if you are interested in coming, bringing your boat, or having a stand there, please let me know!

twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

2 comments:

  1. It's way too far away from me but it sounds fascinating! Let me know if you need any NT contact details - it's not my region but I might be able to find out who the relevant person is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that sounds like a great day out. Cambridge isn't too far for me to travel either. I'll be marking it on my calendar. Also if you have any flyers/posters email me a copy and I'll put them up in my workplace.

    Jules x
    http://julesmann.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete